Friends of Lake JesupAugust 15, 2002
East Branch (Oviedo) Seminole County Library
Meeting called to order at 7:05.
Chairman King tells group of mistake in June minutes that Nancy Allen of ACOE was not assigned to our program, is working under Pete and is only temporary.
The group approved July minutes.
Chairman King sent email address sheet around for correction.
Ed Hayes, FWCC, says preliminary report for disposal facility is due Friday or Monday, and he will have it at the next meeting. He will discuss permitting issues with USACOE , SJRWMD and DEP next month. He stated the "Cookie Cutter" is making good progress. They are half way through the hours and making the progress that was expected. While out on the lake he found a bubblenest made by exotic armored catfish.
Pete Milam, USACOE, told the chairman by phone that the higher authorities over the Corp have been slower than expected approving PRP. He sees no problem though and expects PRP to be approved any day now and will have it at the next meeting.
Scott Bear, FDOT, says that draft reports for the SR46 bridge replacement are due mid to late September. The Public input meetings are still scheduled for October. They are planning to try to do joint meeting with USACOE. They have started on siteing reports for potential places for treatment ponds. Sites are extremely limited for treatment ponds in the area of the project. Discussion follows as to potential solutions.
Chairman King says the Bridge Placement Advance Notification stated that the bridge did not cross a navigable waterway because it is not consider to be a US coast guard navigation channel. Mr. King stated he had contacted the clearinghouse and brought the correction to their attention. It will be followed up to make sure that the correction is indeed made.
Chairman King says USACOE has told him they are going to issue the permit for Lake Mary Blvd and will accept the SJRWMD permitting. The Corp,s does not feel it can object to permit application, regardless how they feel about the airport or roadway plans. Airport has told them they are going to expand north and south runways. Mitigation for Lake Mary Blvd is part in-basin and part out-of-basin, even though the project is in the basin. They followed the same basin regulations used since 1995 and projects in the basin since legislation that was passed have had this same standard applied. It appears that no new standard was adopted due to Legislation. Others also are now complaining about mitigation throughout the state. SJRWMD board might be willing to hear from FLJ to encourage them to make all mitigation to be in-basin. Steve Rich, USACOE, pointed out that Seminole county has been consistent about requiring in-basin mitigation, then not only chose partial mitigation outside the basin it chose mitigation outside the county. As mitigation for Lake Mary Blvd Extension they will be doing berm leveling, ditch filling and grading and maybe revegitation in the Lake Jesup Wilderness Area. Once last outside berm is removed, that place will be back to normal.
Discussion followed about mitigation.
Chairman King says SJRWMD board apparently is becoming tired of the way the mitigation in general is going. Group decided to request the SJRWMD board to tighten mitigation guidelines in lake Jesup Basin. Chairman King is looking for a house representative to champion our cause, and said David Mealor looks like he would be our best Representative for FLJ.
Chairman King readdresses website. Says that SJRWMD has approved linkage to their website. FWCC says yes. DOT says it would be probable in the design portion and can do it on future projects, also that the site must include all alternative plans. We may have to put up page containing FDOT documents until they can get their own page up. DEP does not know yet, but will think about any info they want linked to Jesup restoration page. Next months meeting will concentrate on getting the site all together. Craig said he will check with Kim Ornberg to finalize plan.
Chairman King talks about SGTV filming that took place in the morning. FLJ got 10 minutes of about 30 minutes. Robert went out and talked to Jim Duby about the lake, covering what happened to the lake, what is wrong with it, the restoration effort and support. The film will contain all necessary contact information for the Friends, next month it might be on the loop. Chairman will bring tape to an upcoming meeting when he gets it.
Craig answered a question regarding the purchase of a property. The entire Pine-Loch parcel was purchased, by the US Forest Service, through a Florida Community trust grant.
George Means comments on the level of the lake. Lake is at 5'8" to 5'10", the highest it has been since last year.
Chairman King says that Natural Lands representative Shari King is no longer available to be on committee. Steve Rich and Tom McCord would be interested in replacing Shari. A letter will be sent to County to communicate this.
Hearing no other reports, the meeting was adjourned at 8:50 pm.