Friends of Lake Jesup
East Branch (Oviedo) Seminole County Library
Chairman Robert King called meeting to order at 7:12 p.m.
Introduction of members.
Mark Clifford, Seminole Soil and Water Conservation Board, came to represent this branch of Seminole County.
Minutes were checked and approved by the group members.
Lothian Ager of FWCC said the consultant will be involved in construction. They met onsite with consultant today and will have what information is needed for the District to approve the disposal site. Must have restoration plan complete before they can even start construction. Still need permits from the DEP and the Corp. There are several options for the disposal site and the final condition they will leave the disposal site in. The options include everything from complete restoration to taking the muck to the landfill. The District has a management plan for the site and FWCC are going to try to coordinate with that plan. Sanford 'site 10' could still be used if Sanford were to change their minds about helping. FWCC are also looking Beck Ranch property in Volusia as a disposal site.
Chairman King made request for a bass center update. Lothian agreed to follow up.
Chuck Vreeland, FDOT, stated they are in negations about the price of the contract. Negations should be complete by April 18th. They will have website available at the design portion of the project.
Scott Bear, CH2Mhill, On April 25th or that week there will be a public hearing so that they can present the alternatives and take formal comments on all four alternatives to input them in their documents. Cannot do anything until the Corp's studies are complete. There will not be a preferred alternative chosen at this point.
Cecielia Height, Sierra, brought up the proposed coal train across Jesup and through Little-Big Econ State Forest. Group discussed topic. Made motion on allowing Chairman King to make comment on the issue if things arise.
Chairman King reported that the staff in Feeny's office has not changed. All people working for him already know the situation with the lake.
Regina Loving, SJRWMD, reported that the Modeling meeting would be February 27 at 10:00 AM in Palatka. Stated that the District is completely hands off on in the modeling phase of the project.
Craig Shadrix of Seminole County Natural Lands reported they met with Jerry Wood to let him know that Seminole County wanted the entire property at Clifton Springs. He has until the end of the week to give his final price. It is believed that the price will be higher than expected. The price will be presented to the board and the Board will decide if they want to pay the extra money. Need to move now to maintain the money from the Florida Community Trust Grant. Have been moving forward with negations for the Osceola Land at the exit of lake Harney. The Natural Lands Committee is now up to full membership. Sid Miller, Ben Tucker and Carolyn Schulz have been appointed.
Chairman King reported City of Sanford and Seminole County are drafting a joint planning agreement. The agreement includes all the land on the north shore of the lake, east of the expressway. One claim being made is that City of Sanford is working towards the restoration Lake Jesup. City of Sanford has not helped and does not attend the meetings. King asked permission of group to allow him to make comment on Sanford's statement about participating to restore Jesup. Bill Daniel makes motion about letting King to make comment to the joint planning agreement. Seconded by Cecial Heights. Chairman King agrees to make comment and but will first send out email to all members for approval of letter. Group discussed the issue.
Chairman King, stated, Bereswill representative for Oviedo, is not at the meeting tonight. Told the group that we have received a $500 check from Wal-Mart. The group discussed the issue of the check. Steve Rich made a motion to accept the check. Bill Daniel and Carol Woods seconded the motion. The group agreed. The group decided that the money should go to Robert for meeting expenses. The group also decided that a thank you letter should be sent to Bereswill and Wal-Mart.
Chairman King, presented to group the question of what to do with the information received from the District on the In-basin Mitigation status over the last 6 months. King also presented issue about enhancement projects. Suggestion made to send a letter to Loving, Lowe, and Miller. Group discussed the issue. Tom McCord suggests that the group should write a letter of thanks for doing a good job to the District. Then send another letter that states what kind of improvements to the policy. Steve Rich was asked to write an explanation of improvements that could be made to the policy especially pertaining to tracking techniques. Group consensus was to send the letters as discussed.
Chairman King presented new question “Can the Friends of Lake Jesup endorse any mitigation that goes outside the basin?” The Group discussed the question and decided to wait to make a decision until next meeting.
Chairman King, stated that he was asked to make a presentation on April 8th about how this citizens group runs. They want 45 minutes to 1 hour. King will give more information at the next meeting.
Cecielia Height made a motion to present Oviedo with the information that they have storm water issue on their hands on Sweetwater Creek at the next hearing. Group agreed.
Meeting adjourned at 9:15.